Tuesday, March 22, 2016

A Little Temple Square Reunion

   I cannot thank Aya enough for arranging a little reunion with my companion Sister Suzuki and Sister Okamura.  I was so pleased to see everyone.  Who would have thought I would end up going to Japan twelve years after seeing them.  I was able to meet Sister Suzuki's husband Yo and their sweet baby girl Lina (I have most likely spelled her name wrong).  They showed us around the city a bit and we had lunch together.  Sister Suzuki and her family left after that since a six month old baby isn't quite up to a day of sight seeing.
  Aya and Okamura san took Daryl and I out to Kamakura.  There we saw a shrine where they happened to be performing a wedding that day, so we got to see a very traditional Japanese wedding take place.  Then we saw a giant Buddha at the Kotokuin Temple.  It was a great day trip out of the city and we are so grateful to Aya and Okamura san taking us around.  We are so fortunate to have such thoughtful friends.



Hikari and Lina

Okamura, Suzuki, Layman, and Marunaka

Suzuki and Layman again

Daryl trying to learn how to bring good luck just like the cat.

Me hanging out a guarding statue.

This is the red gate at the front of the shrine where we saw the wedding.

This one cherry blossom tree was already blooming and as you can see it was quite popular.

The shrine from the beginning of the walk.  As you walk up you are supposed to purify your soul.

Washing your hands and mouth out with water completes the spiritual purification, but I think I botched it.

Aya tried to help salvage my soul.  

This is the wedding we saw taking place.

A picture of the shrine up close.

Daryl and I

Layman, Marunaka, and Okamura

I often take pictures of the signs of where I have been to help me remember the names.

Here's the big Buddha.  It was about 44 feet tall with the base and constructed in the 13th century.

Marunaka, Layman, and Okamura with big Buddha

Okamura and myself

No comments: