Monday, January 3, 2011

Keratoconus

So a few years a go I was diagnosed with Keratoconus.  It's not life threating or anything, it just means that my eyes are slowly changing shape, into a 'cone'.  It could take years before it becomes serious enough for a surgery, or it could be shorter, or it could even stop progressing.  It effects everyone differently so there is no way to know exactly what will happen to me. So there is a newer treatment available now that stops and can even correct the progression, not with full FDA approval, but it has finished clinical trials and has been approved to be performed at a few places in the US.  (Europe it has full approval).  At any rate my doctor thinks I should do the procedure, it's called Corneal Collagen Crosslinking with Riboflavin.  So this week I am headed off to Beverly Hills, CA to have it while Rachel stays at home with Avery. Hopefully Harper will not arrive while I am gone!   

(severe Keratoconus)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus

3 comments:

SSToone said...

Wow that is a rad picture! :) That is really cool that you're going to have a "cutting edge" surgery!

I LOVE the name Harper but can't use it due to our last name! Hope you're doing well in the last weeks of your pregnancy!

Daryl said...

Rachel & I both post to the blog, Rachel is staying home while I'm in LA.

SSToone said...

Yeah, totally didn't read the second to last line. I rock. Ha!