Monday, April 20, 2009

Reject City

Daryl found out he was not accepted at UW, but for a very good reason. I can only blame myself because I'm usually the brains of this operation, but oh well. It's been a million years since I applied to college, so I forgot that you need to have two years of foreign langauge in high school as one of your core requirements. Unfortunately, Daryl got stuck in Special Ed during high school and wasn't prepared for college because they thought he was too dumb (basically). I'm not sure what Special Ed prepared him for at all to tell you the truth. Apparently he watched a lot of movies. I freaked out when I realized that he didn't even know what a thesis or the five paragraph essay format was. I hope now-a-days they just don't stick their ADHD, dslyexic, discalculic, kids into Special Ed and don't prepare them for college. I'm sure most of those kids are just as smart and capable as Daryl is; they just need a little more help.
At any rate neither of us are very disappointed by this development. In fact, we think it will work out better this way. Daryl will apply to go to UW in the Spring and apply for the Computer Science program at the same time like you're supposed to(something we didn't do this time because of some date issues). In the meantime Daryl will probably take two quarters of ASL to fulfill his foreign language requirement at Bellevue College (Bellevue Community College is now a four year state college. Oh joy). And he'll hopefully find some contract work to pick up as well. Meanwhile Daryl is going to be done with his AA this quarter and finally is going to get the respect he deserves because everyone knows that an AA gets major props.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Good luck with everything. Karl told me that I could tutor Daryl, if he needs someone to practice with I am willing, but its been years since I was in a classroom learning Sign Language!

Shirley said...

It is very true that some plans don't work out and often a better plan is there waiting. Unfortunately dslyexica and ADHD run in the family. Now teachers are understanding it more now. I know everything will work out for you Daryl. You deserve the best and you have a very supportive wife. Best of everything.